Friday, March 14, 2008

'Heat Wave'

Before I start, I would like to apologies. This will be my second post and I will be using it to vent and may continue to do so until I see some rain, not small brief trickles but actual drenching storms (well not heavy enough to cause bodily harm to anyone...)

Melbourne, Australia, is experiencing somewhat of a heat wave. Its mid March, Autumn, and it is hot. Last night the temperature didn't drop bellow 25°C (77 °F ?). I am aware that Adelaide has experienced 12 days of 35+°C (95+°C) and is expecting a few more, however I don't live in Adelaide, nor have I ever been there, so Melbourne's heat is the only heat I will complain about.
I have not had to work during these two weeks, and only had to endure going to university for four days out of the week so my suffering is pretty mundane and somewhat insensitive to those who work work in hot environments - chefs, road workers, etc. Still I want to complain. ^^

Commuting to university has been exhausting. Sadly walking to/from the bus stop from/to my residence is the most comfortable portion of my travel. The buses have a habit of either being either early to the point where I just leaves when I gain vision of the stop, or so late that two buses in the same route come at the same time. The bus ride is as good as it can get with a full load of perspiring 'people' with no air condition - fortunately the ride is rather short. Connex is the enitity which is causing my commute to be uncomfortable - Peek hour trains at possibly overcapacity , occupied by sweaty, stinky, heat exerting... I am felling like the word animals would be appropriate here. Recalling this has already caused me to choke on water, so I will move on.
I am assuming Monash University as a collective whole is trying to conserve energy, reducing carbon emissions. At Caulfield, the campus I attend, the air-conditioning policy of some buildings do not seem to be conforming to this ideal. Two of the business theatres that I have lectures in have set there air-conditioning to a level where it can actually be painful to be in there if you are not wearing long sleeved shirts and pants. I enjoy the cold, though if you didn't have a wink of sleep the previous night and suddenly you're sitting in a dim cool room, it can be rather hard to resist the temptation to sleep (factoring in how boring most all of my lectures are doesn't help either). In contrast, another building where I have my remaining lectures and most of my tutorials has opted not to use air-conditioning - I guess this is to offset the overzealousness of the other building.

Okay, I've just run out of water and this temperature has caused me to revert back to using contraction grammar. Here's another baka-image which follows up from my previous post. > <

1 comment:

Ritzy said...

i like ya style of writing.

ARGH!! packed trams are just as bad.

grr..

a giant hungry creature would see a tram like a perfect human baguette >__< lunch.